Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Get your kids to eat veggies" pasta

So I'll admit that I channel my inner kindergartener when it comes to food. I'm pretty picky and I'm not a big fan of those colorful things called veggies. I will admit that I try though to hide veggies in dishes so that I'll get the nutrients my body needs without the taste of unappetizing vegetables (so sad that I'm almost 21 and I have to hid veggies in food. please don't judge me!). So here is my quick fix to that!

1 pound of whole wheat/whole grain/ healthy spaghetti (I like the omega 3 noodles)
1 pound of ground turkey
1/2 cup white onion chopped
1/2 cup carrots chopped
1/2 cup celery chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce (I used garlic basil)
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 container of fresh basil (optional)
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp black pepper

***I shop at fresh and easy and i got the "stew" veggies. It's this super convenient little plastic container with the chopped onion, carrot, and celery all together.

1. Heat a large pan. Once it is heated add the olive oil and make sure it coats the entire pan. Add all the veggies. Let them soften (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil. once the water is boiling, add the noodles and cook 9 minutes.
3. Once the veggies have softened, add the ground turkey. Add salt, pepper, and garlic.
4. Brown the turkey (about 5 minutes). Once the turkey has browned, add the sauce.
5. Drain the pasta and set in a bowl.
6. Serve the noodles on a plate and spoon the sauce over it.
7. Chop the basil and sprinkle over the pasta and sauce. Add parmesan cheese if you feel crazy!

Down that and some garlic bread :)

I like this meal because it's light but so full of flavor. You can swap out the turkey for chicken or beef. Feel free to play around with this and add your favorite veggies. You can even add diced zucchini instead of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment